Sunday 17 January 2010

Thoughts at the Preview

We all have a need to believe in something; that much was evident when talking to people at the exhibition yesterday. Is this simply how our brains are programmed? Human beings (generally) tend to prefer social order over chaos or conflict, so it makes sense to have a collective belief system, but what to believe in? And how far should we compromise logic to stay in a group?


I wasn't the only one at the show to admit that I missed some of the security and comforting rituals of the organised religion of childhood. Then it was soothing to know that there was someone in charge; learn the rules, stick to them and everything would be alright. Hey, even death could be neatly taken care of if you behaved yourself. But where do you go as an adult when logic prevails and that desire for answers remains? I believe one can make good ethical and moral choices without being part of an organised religion or group, but I am intrigued to know if it's possible to find a system where intellect and spirituality can co-exist? Anyone?



.

1 comment:

  1. Good question Bern.

    I was interested to hear comedian Marcus Brigstocke on TV today talking about his new show, "God Collar". It seems he has plenty to say on the subject of belief including - "There's probably no God... but I wish there was. I've got some things I need to ask him"

    I'm also interested in a piece of work made by artist John Newling, ‘Stamping Uncertainty’ which was at Worcester Cathedral during November 2009. The work explored the nature of doubt, focusing on questions which appear in hymns and the doubt which is expressed in them.
    http://www.john-newling.com/

    ReplyDelete